Friday, August 15, 2008

A Mommy Moment

Joey's birthday is Monday. This past week, today being the last day, he went to his summer camp class. It was 5 days of playing, snack time and craft making. Lasting 2 whole hours each day. The big finale today is actually a 3 hour class. Whoa.

Two of his classmates had birthdays this week, and their moms brought in cupcakes to share with the class. Joey has severe allergies to nuts and peanuts, so he could not partake in the cupcake eating like his classmates.

Had someone told me the following day there would be cupcakes, I would have made a batch and sent a 'safety' cupcake to class with him.

He was left out. He didnt care. He didnt even seem to notice. But, mom noticed. And mom was sad for him.

Well, I had the bright idea to make a batch of my own cupcakes to send with him today to celebrate his birthday on Monday.

And I was going to make these cupcakes as special as I could.

Joey and I went to the party store, and I left him pick out whatever cupcake papers he wanted. After much deliberation, he selected Lighting McQueen. And then we went to the store and he selected the Funfetti cake mix. I am a snob about frosting, we dont use frosting out the can. lol He didnt get to pick the frosting. But, he did get to pick the decorations. Chocolate sprinkles his favorite.

So, we spent the day yesterday making cupcakes, frosting them with his favorite chocolate whip cream frosting, and sprinkling the crap out of them with sprinkles.

Needless to say he was pumped. He kept saying he was going to share them with all his friends. And he wanted to make sure everyone got one. Such a sweet boy he is.

So, this morning, I had to make him a lunch to eat as his class. All the other days they just had a snack, but today they are going to eat a bag lunch.

I got all misty, AGAIN, packing his little lunch, in his little lunch bag. Lighting McQueen, of course. He took his lunch bag and his show and share toy, and put them in his back pack.

"I am all set dad, lets go. Its my birfday."

My little guy is growing so fast. Seems like just yesterday, I was sterilizing bottles, and driving all over the place looking for his favorite organic baby food. Now, I am packing turkey sandwiches and making him cupcakes to share with his friends.

Its almost too much for this mom to handle.

No comments: